Monday, May 26, 2014

"Reading the Scriptures...Boring or Interesting?"...part 2

Reading and studying the Sacred Scripture reaps great benefits to our lives...yet as I share with others on various topics in regards to the Scripture...the feelings with many...are mixed....

Why is that?

 I have heard many of my Christian friends make remarks that...well in all honesty kind of baffle me. Now, that being said, let me make this perfectly clear...I am just like all of us...a sinner saved by His Grace...and in no way am I pointing a finger at anyone in reference to the importance of studying the Scriptures and how they might apply it to their daily lives.
 Here is all I do know...I personally cannot make it as a Christian...without the Scripture...period. You can't offer up enough prayers nor can I attend church enough...to change my heart from within...only the Scriptures seem to be the only way I change...and become more pleasing to Him.

 I have heard many puzzling statements from very sincere believers around me: "I am not a bible reader...but I follow God the best I can", "I simply cannot relate to what is written in the Scripture", " Honestly, the bible was written a long time ago....and much of it I cannot understand...due to cultural barriers", "The bible is way too boring...in fact, a lot of it doesn't even make sense to me", along with other responses like these that seem almost endless.
 Then there are some I share my life with that will embrace a verse or two, apply their faith, and trust Him for it...even if the verse they have chosen and rationalized as God"s Promise to them...is totally out of context.
 And yet there are still others who say "This is why we have the Holy Spirit....He changes us...when we yield our hearts to Him. He will lead us into the Scriptures, teach us, and give us inspiration to reading the Scriptures... without Him...the bible is just another book." And more often than not, the inspiration to reading the Scripture is reverted back to "standing in faith" on a particular verse...and not studying the depth of the passage of Scripture.

So my question then is: "Do we need to have a hunger for the Scriptures...a passion like we do for our hobbies or personal interests?...or is that asking too much?
 I know right now if someone stopped by my home and had 2 tickets for a major league baseball game...I would be jumpin' for joy. Why?,,,because I love baseball.
 Yet, if someone comes by and say"Hey...let's take a little time and give some study on a particular passage of Scripture."...my response would probably be: "Ok...uh...do you mean like...right now?"...and probably find a way to put the whole idea in "storage"...right?

Is there such a thing as "a passion or a hunger for the Scripture" after we have invited Christ Jesus into our lives...or is that just a nice "religious" thought that really can't be fulfilled. And...what good does it really do anyone...anyway? Jesus know my heart and where I stand with Him...and if I need direction or anything pertaining to me...He'll let me know...His Spirit will guide me."

Hmmmm?

 For me...passion is the very thing that makes me want to arise in the morning. Passion gives me the strength to get up and be excited about life...being alive.
 Without passion...that drive to want to pursue something isn't there...life is...just there... and I hate to wake up like that. Not only does a passion in life offer you a reason to live and pursue things that are in our hearts...it also helps us to face the challenges of a particular pursuit...and the determination to follow a passion...to it's completion.
 Ok...that being said, what does passion have to do with reading the Sacred Scripture...and actually developing an interest in doing so? Furthering this thought...even if an interest is shown concerning Scripture...do you really think an interest can become a...passion?

 Western Christianity...and specifically American Christianity...has a few issues...in my humble opinion. (lol)

 First, seldom do you hear of someone "attacking the Scripture"...with a passion like one would go after a hobby... creating a beautiful landscape, restoring an old car, or pursuing sports with every ounce of energy you have. I am not saying everyone is like that...I just don't hear it much...in fact rarely.
 Most of the time when the study of the Scripture is mentioned, people smile and say "Aw, that would be nice...God has been so good to me."...The End
 I think when we as Americans think of the Scripture, we either get all "religious", have terrible experiences from the past when attempted before, or have all these preconceived ideas of what the study of the Scripture really means.
 We don't even give the Scriptures "equal billing", like reading a great novel or watching a movie that touches the soul. 

 The thing I have noticed in the study of the ancient Scripture from a western or an American train of thought is...we kind of get all weird about it. We seem to put up this almost false projection that the Scriptures are so "holy"...we are not to question...we are not to investigate...we are not to examine....anything we might read, instead, we are to bow our heads and meditate on a passage that we honestly don't have a clue what the Scriptures are talking about. When we hear a public reading of a passage of Scripture, we simply listen, attempt to meditate, and smile in some type of serene personna. Then, if asked what the particular passage meant to you....the response is: "I really don't know...but it was beautiful". And then if you listen to a version like the King James with the "thee's and thou's"...it really does not relate to you as a person.
 Add to it as you go through the everyday routines of life...when  you really do need something to get you through the day...a person will find a verse in Scripture that seems to relate to them, and hope to the very God they so sincerely believe in... will help them. In the darkest moments of our life...a verse of Scripture can certainly be a comfort and a strength to face a certain situation in life...yet in desperation...it can be a Scripture verse that is totally out of context and not meant to address the particular situation you are in. As a result, you are left despondent and turn to an inspirational type movie or a phrase from a greeting card...for inner strength, and the Scriptures only drift away farther from your heart.

We all do it...and sadly...it seems to me to be..."the American Way".

 One more thought...we live in a world where if we want or even need something...we simply go to Walmart...we go to Lowe's...we go to our favorite store and get it. We buy cars almost instantly with a line of credit...we can be in our new home in 30 days...with little money down!
And if we don't feel like going out and purchasing something...we just buy it on line and in a few days it is delivered to our very door!
 In our need for the Lord Jesus to be involved in our lives...where is His store? Can I get it today? Does He deliver directly to my home?
 For many, the Scriptures we so "dramatically" respect...are nothing more than another mall...except this mall has stores we don't recognize....yes the goods and services look pretty...yet it is so different than what I am used to. Above all,...they don't really offer a line of credit...you know...I really need to get the stuff I need NOW...I will pay you later...or at least in installments. The Scriptures demand our hearts and minds...now...and "reason together" what you are attempting to do. A big sign on the front of this "Scripture Mall" reads: Before you buy...please take some time with the owner of these goods and services being offered."

 And there seems to be the problem....we simply do not have that kind of time....I really don't want to mess reading the fine print...you either want to "sell it or You don't...Jesus"...I don't have the time to deal with my heart...what I really need...and stuff like that."

 If you ever happen to study a way a Jewish Bible study is conducted, and compare that to an American or Western culture type bible study...you begin to see some differences.
 The Jewish people...both in the days when the Scriptures were being written and still followed today, have always been  in awe and respect of the Great God of Israel...that is when they had turned their hearts to Him. And concerning the Scriptures...they seem to not be bashful in asking questions to Him..."Why did He say that?"..."What led Him to this conclusion?" "What is going on "behind the scenes for Him to say this?"

 A total different approach to bible study...than what we do today....

  And the crazy part to me... God seems to enjoy these questions that are directed at Him!

 In Isaiah 1:18-20, the people of Israel...had distanced themselves from their Great God. Oh...they went through the motions...smiled when the Scriptures were read, never really took to heart anything He said in relation to the Scripture...and certainly gave no effort to studying or examining what He was trying to get at...that is...get into their real hearts and motives as to why they do the things they were doing.
  Yet...here is how He approached them....

                                  A Gleaning from Isaiah 1: 18-20

 " Come, let us take the time and settle this matter...you know...our broken down friendship. I AM willing...if you are. Let us take this time to reason together, "hash this thing out",...it is time to talk!
 I can see you are completely drenched in your own sins...your color gives you away...that scarlet red. It is obvious to me...your sins have gotten the best of you.
 Yet, I come to you...with some Good News!

 You don't have to go out again and buy new clothes to cover up all that deep red color on you...you don't have to go out and buy new things...to make you feel happy and help alleviate your pain...the pain that is within you.
 In fact, I am more than capable to remove that scarlet -red stain of sin in your life...and make you as white as fresh wool...or new fallen snow.
 But I must warn you...we have to do it...My way!

 If you are really wanting to restore our friendship...to follow My Path, if You are willing to learn of me...just like I desire to get to know you, and if you are willing to learn about me and be respectful and honor My way of life...then...and only then...will what I write or say to you... will come alive! And I will always give you...my very best!

 Yet, if you continue on this path you are following...the always wanting to "fix things now" attitude, the "I can do it myself" train of thought, and always thinking "the easy way out" in your daily lifestyles..then I will tell you now...it will only get worse. In fact, eventually the path you are on will lead to you  withering away and dying...like so many have."


 Studying the Sacred Scripture...demands all our hearts...and some of our time..."quality time" as the phrase goes today. And if you don't understand what you are reading in the Sacred Scripture...find out...examine it...and then work it into your life. Trust me...God seems to enjoy this kind of stuff...and He is not bashful, He does not "play head games", nor does He ignore what you have a question about.

 First...you have interest...in restoring the "broken-down" friendship...and it begins by...doing it His Way.....

No comments:

Post a Comment