Saturday, August 4, 2012

Why do we have an August?

August is a month I simply have to tolerate. It has beauty and yet you know a "change is in the air".  The word August itself means great or magnificent...but I think that might be strechin' it a little. Yet I know August is necessary...and it is the one that causes me to hold on to summer while preparing for autumn. I know change is sometimes good...but I really will miss:

 Kids on the front lawn selling lemonade for 25 cents,
 Watermelons sitting in the garden just reaching maturity.
 How about the tall corn fields, or taking those last plunges into the lake
 Or running through the sprinklers.
 And the flower gardens...the sunflowers, Queen-Anne lace, and the golden rods,
 Lookin' good and enjoying the time of their lives.

 In some circles August has been designated as the month to practice "the art of hospitality." Suggestions are to be a little more sensitive toward others, do the "Random act of Kindness" thing with a little more emphasis, and perhaps smile and listen to others a little more intently even when you don't feel like it.

 Some Bible scholars think Jesus Himself was born in August, based in the Gospels where the shepherds were out on the hills "watching their flocks at night". When Christ came into the manger designated as December 25th...those shepherds would have been cold ( in the moutainous regions), so their livestock would have been likely in pens and stalls...besides, there would have been too many hungry  animals looking for food. Also, shepherds wouldn't send newborns "out" at night in the spring , yet by summer's end, the baby sheep could venture out.

August can be a hot month, almost like July is "keeping it hands tight around the neck" of August.
 And August is a month to get ready for the county fairs...popcorn, corn dogs, and cotton candy.


August is a month of mixed feelings: on one hand I begin to get a little restless in antcipation for fall, and yet a sorrow is emerging for knowing Summer is winding down.
 In fact, August is a kind of reflection to a sunset, so beautiful in its vast array of color...and yet knowing the cool of the evening is fast approaching...and night is close at hand.

I guess what I am trying to say in all this is...August is a kind of dying month in some ways...the peak of summer has passed and those cool autumn breezes ar just around the corner.
 I think August for me is a good reminder...I too am dying...dying to self and the lifestyle I want to live and have...and allow the True Son to bring His Life into and through me.

C.S. Lewis once wrote: ".....it is when I turn to Christ, when I give up myself to His personality, that I begin to have a real personality of my own."
 He also once wrote: " I gave in...and admitted God was God."

This kind of reminds of a quote by Oswald Chambers: "God's friendship begins when I realize...I'm living in poverty."

 Yea, August for me is one of those times of year I need to reflect...and prepare for some changes...but I do think Summer should at least be given a speeding ticket...or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment