Tuesday, December 15, 2015

The Things I Love About Christmas

As Christmas arrives, I take a moment to consider what I find meaningful in regards to this holiday. Here are my thoughts...

 A Christmas Carol  written by Charles Dickens. I can never get enough of this book and the various movie versions. It gives me a hope that no matter how much selfishness and greed lurks within, I can make a decision to change and focus on the needs of others.
 The Christmas carol Silent Night allows a depth of peace to come to me that I can actually feel. When I hear the words of this song, I think of Father Joseph Mohr who wrote the words to this carol in 1816, then asking Franz Xavier Gruber, an organist and choirmaster, to put it to music in 1818. I can only imagine this song being introduced on Christmas Eve night at Saint Michael's parish in Austria, hearing it for the very first time.
Image result for photos of silent night by Gruber The song What Child is This, particularly instrumentals. I enjoy Lindsey Sterling's version as she plays the violin and dances throughout this song as she plays. This song was written by William Chatterton Dix in 1865. He was an insurance manager that became seriously ill and  gives credit to Christ for his recovery as Dix gave his heart to Him.

 Although this isn't really an official Christmas song, I love to hear the song Feed the Birds from the movie Mary Poppins during this time of year. The song was written by two brothers, Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman. This Disney movie came out in 1964 with an old "bird woman" on church steps feeding pigeons as Julie Andrews sang this song. The lyrics allow me to see purpose in life, an encouragement to see past myself and consider the needs of others. One stanza that entertains a Christmas thought:
Image result for photos of feed the birds   All around the cathedral, the saints and the apostles
   Look down as she sells her wares
  Although you can't see it
  You know they are smiling
  Each time someone shows that they care

 The lady who played the part of the "old bird woman" in Mary Poppins was Jane Darwell. She had won Best Supporting Actress Globe award in the movie Grapes of Wrath in 1940. Long retired, Walt Disney talked her out of retirement to play this part. She was 84 years of age at the time. It was her final appearance.
 Saint Paul's cathedral is a real church in London where the bird woman sat on it's steps. It is an Anglican church established in 604 A.D. Millions of tourists have come through the years and had photos taken at the same spot the bird woman sat feeding pigeons. It was Walt Disney's favorite song of the entire movie. The chorus goes:
  Feed the birds, tuppence are there
  Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence are there
Image result for photos of pentatonix christmasThis song moves my own heart because it reminds me of His Grace in my life and in so doing makes Christmas ever more meaningful. In Saint Luke 18:13 it reads: " Meanwhile the tax collector was standing off at a distance. He would not allow his eyes to look up toward heaven as he prayed. He pounded his chest and threw his face into his hands saying ' O God. Grant me mercy and not the wrath I so deserve. I know my sin is ever before You, a sinner...by choice.'

 Of course the group Pentatonix has a Christmas album out this year I really enjoy. My favorite is Mary, Did you know?

 Some passing thoughts this morn...Merry Christmas! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment