Thursday, September 17, 2015

"Wait a minute... Maybe There are Leaders Here!"

 I love politics! I have since I was a child. Those three letters "JFK" still brings tears to my eyes. "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country," might be the most inspiring statement I ever heard in my lifetime.
 I am not one to vote a straight ticket. My approach to presidential candidates has been determined by the following categories: 1. Are they a leader?  Do their words come from their heart and do those words make me proud to be an American? 2. Integrity. The definition in reference to the political arena is "a state where people of a country has a sensed of wholeness and not divided." In relation to personal agenda; ethics, morality, and general personal beliefs are noted, yet decency, fairness, and being truthful are of greater importance to me. 3. Delivery. When a candidate speaks, are they condescending or do they identify with me as a listener who is interested in their views? 4. Genuine. Although this ties in with the other factors already mentioned, I ponder the words that are expressed as being real...or is it a "smoke screen" to simply get my vote. 5. Respect. How a candidate treats their challengers can determine what they really think of me as a common voter.

 With that being the premise for watching the Presidential Republican debate (the second debate), on September 16th, 2015, I definitely came away with a feeling of hope. 
 I tend to vote more with the democratic party more than republican, sometimes I have found myself liberal in voting for a leader of our country. Yet, I have not discounted the conservative party and have done my best to listen to their ideas and what their agenda entails.
 In recent years for example, I was appalled at the selection of a Sarah Palin, who I respect as a person but in my mind had no business running as a vice president. The republicans put her in a vulnerable position. Could she make a good vice-president? Perhaps, but it takes time and experience. Her recent solution to the California drought was a prime example of her need for more experience, rather than defending herself and creating a comedy hour on YouTube.

 Yet, the republicans have seemed to learn well and presented a candidate Carly Fiorina, who was not only refreshing but she brought a clear message: women are equally intelligent, strong, and can be leaders of our country. Her response to Donald's Trump comments on her physical appearance was outstanding from where I sat. She simply replied : " I think women all over this country heard very clearly what Mr. Trump said." 
 I found myself becoming impressed with Carly Fiorina with her comments from various questions. I think what I loved most: I did not get the feeling she was concerned whether I liked her or not, her motive instead was to demand my respect. She very much did that.  I did listen to her the following morning and she made a powerful statement that touches the heart: " Life is not measured in years, it is measured in love." She was relating this to the loss of her child and her battle with cancer. What was equally impressive, she presented herself objectively, not tugging on my emotions or wanting any emotion from me that would cause me to feel sorry for her. Her statement on measuring years reminded me of another republican who had commented on years in our lives. " In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." His name was Abraham Lincoln.
 Her cross? The clarity of what happened at H.P.

 I found Jeb Bush to be interesting. He has a kind of "hat-trick" to do, not afraid to identify and be in support of his family including "W",  yet being able to allow the public see his leadership experience demonstrated in Florida and single himself out as a true leader.  
 Jeb's response to Trump's comment on why President Obama became president being a direct result of "W's" leadership in which Abraham Lincoln would not have had a chance, was a mixed result for me. Jeb responded: " You know what? As it relates to my brother, there is one thing I know for sure. He kept us safe."  My thought?...well, yes and no. We did have 9/11, and to this day it has never been clarified what the administration really knew before the horrible tragedy happened. Although I agree to this day Saddam Hussein was an evil that needed addressed, the reasoning Saddam's build-up of nuclear weaponry was never made clear or found to be true. The fact 4486 U.S. soldiers have been killed in Iraq and 2345 in Afghanistan does not make me feel "W" kept us safe. And like ever other "war" in my lifetime, we wimply pulled out without the sense we had done good. I would simply like to see Jeb expand his view on this statement before I make any assessment.

 I thought Marco Rubio, who I seem to never get out of my mind his taking a drink of water in the Romney nomination process, was impressive and I gained a deeper respect for him. He approached  Trump and his "wizard of oz" image with intelligence, objectiveness, and clarity. I thought he come across genuine in his concerns.
 Huckabee and Cruz were a disappointment to me. I think both these individuals have a passion to what their intents are, yet seemed to play it safe in their responses and were predictable to the questions they were asked. Cruz particularly has mellowed over time, and I would hope to hear more substance in his tea party ideas. I have an understanding of how they define American values, I just think it shallow and judgmental. The original Boston tea-party was because of taxation without representation, I am not convinced the present agenda of Ted Cruz has the same mentality. Besides, the reason tea was thrown into the Boston harbor was not because of tax on tea. It was because of the tax on Rum, yet nobody in their right mind would thrown good rum overboard! lol.
 Huckabee...just doesn't seem real relaxed, almost in a defensive posture. I would really like to see more of a 'real Mike." His choice on putting his wife on a $10 bill...a little too much for me.
 I did happen to like Walker's idea of Clara Ann Barton on a bill. She was a true heroine of not only women's suffrage, but humanitarian efforts were extraordinary. She was the founder of the Red Cross. 

 I like the reasonings for autism by Carson and Trump. It definitely brought clarity to a national concern, and supported vaccinations yet with smaller doses over a longer period of time. Both Carson and Trump seemed genuine on the subject.
 John Kasich...was there. I know the time for speaking was unbalanced and limited, I just didn't take anything with me that Kasich had said after the debate had concluded.
 Chris Christie seemed energetic and emphasized a cohesiveness in the party. I would like to hear more on specifics as to how this might be attained.
 Rand Paul?...Well, I always thought his response on various topics to be more aggressive. I didn't get that in this debate, rather bland if you want my real opinion.
 Mr Trump? Well, I think he found himself in more of a "big league" environment. It demanded more substance and less one-liners. I think his shallowness was a little more exposed. Maybe the curtain behind Trump saying "I am the great oz" is starting to open.
 I think Trump should have kept silent after Carly made her comment on her appearance, instead it was so fake saying she is beautiful. And what if he did offer is wife a public apology as Jeb suggested?...that might have impressed me more.

 I did like Huckabee's comment on the Iran deal. He said Obama and democrats are treating this like a Magna Carta while the Iranians treat it like toilet paper. 

 Overall, I do think the republican party is beginning to recover...as long as they keep it real. The setting at the Reagan Library was understandable with the Air force One being in the background.  I wonder what effect it might have if it would have been in a different area, like a small town in the Midwest?

  Some other comments I took with me from the debate:

" We don't need an apprentice in the White House, we have one there right now." Scott Walker
" She (Hilary Clinton) believes in the systematic murder of children in the want to preserve body parts...in a way that maximizes the value for sale of profit." Chris Christie

 The fetus thought by Carly...her passion was super impressive and her specific points well described. She was brilliant on this subject.
 I think this is what I heard from her and not what I heard from Ben Carson. I think Carson is a wonderful individual, but more in a support role at this point and not for President of the United States. 
Image result for photos of jeb bush
 What I heard tonight was not just a running for Presidents, I see future Secretary of State, Ambassadors, and people who will truly support and change the some things for the better.

 Right now, I would consider a Carly Fiorina (president)/ Jeb Bush (vice-president) ticket, or perhaps vica-versa.

 But, I have not ruled out "Bernie" yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment