Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Living with Guilt

Image result for photos of feeling guilt How we interpret what we hear and what we relay to others can sometimes depend on our emotional outlook on life. We have all heard the phrase " I don't get what you are saying." Although we speak the same language doesn't mean we experience or even view life from the same perspective. Guilt is one influence on how we conduct our lives and how we share our lives in conversations with one another.

 Guilt in noun form is defined as an emotion we have within us: a feeling that identifies the fact we may have done something wrong or have failed in a particular obligation. Guilt in verb form usually induces another to feel guilty over something we may not approve of.
 Guilt has been around for a long time. It is found in all of our lives and this troubling emotion can be traced in psychology to have its origin even in early childhood. A simple "you are stupid" or "you are ugly" can have devastating effects on our lives that for some...may last an entire lifetime.

 We come in contact with feelings of guilt almost daily. Even in church services, guilt is an emotion used to manipulate a listener to the gospel of Christ Jesus.
 So, is guilt a good thing one might ask? I would conclude it is not...at least not by itself. Guilt has the power to point out what we may be doing wrong at the moment, yet offers no solution as to how we are to correct ourselves. Guilt was not a word used in the Old Testament Hebrew. Forgiveness, repentance, and new direction are written of, but the word guilt is not recognized. 

Why?

Because guilt does not show us how to change, yet it conjures fear within us if we don't change. Many times guilt can leave our self esteem broken, and for some, shattered in pieces.

 Coming to Christ Jesus can be tainted by this emotion we call guilt. We accept Him into our hearts because we simply...do not want to go to Hell! We accept Him into our lives because we are in fear if we do not, even though reading the bible and praying might be quite boring to do.
 In a Pew study, a government survey organization, it is now reported up to 75% of Christians who attend church regularly do not read the bible, and as many as 50% do not pray...unless they are in a bad situation or perhaps pray a more formal prayer, like at church reciting The Lord's Prayer (with sincerity and passion of course!).

Why?

As I thought about this, I came to this conclusion. Actually, my conclusion ended with a question. Is Christ Jesus really someone I can call a real friend? Or, am I overcome with failing Him so often that I simply have given up on the notion of having a friendship with Him?
 I then thought of the friends I do have in this life. They may be few yet this what I have noticed with some of my close "buds."
Image result for photos of feeling of guilt 1. They don't judge me. They accept me as I am, even if they disagree with some views or choices I make in life. Is Christ Jesus like that with me?
 2. They are genuine. They don't hammer down on me every time I screw up. Is Christ Jesus like that with me?
3. They got my back. I trust them. Do I trust Jesus like that?
4. They are dependable. I know when I need help, they will be there. Is Christ Jesus like that to me?
5. They share in my humor. When is the last time you and Jesus had a good laugh together?
6. My close friends love me for who I am, imperfect and all. Is Christ Jesus like that to me?

 We live in a world of instagrams, Hallmark quotes, one line bible verses, and daily affirmations. Do you know some Christians are committed to reading daily horoscopes in the local newspaper before reading something out of the bible. Why? No guilt! You don't have to say I am sorry each day. Besides, it's not that a person wants to change their life, it is a matter of hoping things might get better...right?

 I think both those who attend a Christian church regularly and those who have no church affiliation have a common trait. They are prone to guilt from failing to live up to a certain set of beliefs or standard. 
 Many ancient cultures had a certain set of rules to live by. The 10 commandments are not alone in this train of thought. There was the Babylonian Code of Hammurabi, The Twelve Tables of Roman Law, The Hittite Law, Traditional Chinese Law, and the Islamic laws still followed today, the Sharia Law.

 In our Christian learning through the teachings of the ancient Scriptures, many find it a collection of books that are hard to understand. One example is in our very acceptance of Christ Jesus into our hearts. One verse in the New Testament states if we confess the Lord Jesus with our mouths we shall be saved. Yet Jesus then comments in another portion of the gospels how many will " call Me Lord yet I never knew them." Hmmm? And our guilt continues...

 Guilt often does not allow a person to be open and honest when one prays. When I bow my head in prayer in private, what thoughts are actually running through my head? What am I really thinking? Am I afraid of Him and pray a prayer like the Lord's Prayer with a passion and sincerity to kind of "butter up" Him a little? Is He even there?...or do I just hope He is? Can I really allow myself to be exposed and explain to Him what is really on my mind? Does my guilt in failing His Commands prevent me from ever knowing Him as a real friend?
 In chapters 2 and 3 in the book of Revelation, Jesus speaks directly to 7 different body of believers we commonly know as the 7 churches. To one local church, the church of Laodicea, Jesus comments concerning their friendship to Him with these words (paraphrase): "I would rather you be hot or cold. What I don't want from any of you is to be lukewarm. If you are lukewarm, I will "spew you out of My mouth."(King James version)" In a more modern translation this portion of Scripture might be read " Every time I think of you, I want to puke."
 So what is Jesus saying here? I think what He is conveying is He knows there are times in life we are loaded with guilt and misunderstandings to our friendship with Him. Yet here is what He does not want us to do! Don't act like we are good buddies with Him in front of others when the truth is...we may not be real friends at all!

 I happen to participate in a number of various interest groups on-line. I belong to a political group that welcomes both left-wing liberals and right-wing conservatives. I belong to sports groups and literary groups as well. I learn much from these various groups...how others think and how I really think!
 Many of these groups break off into tangents, like Christian literary groups and general literary groups. One night I happen to be on a Christian literary group site. As many of you know from this blog, I am an Edgar Allan Poe enthusiast in reference to one of my favorite literary authors. 
 We were in a discussion on who inspires us in our writing techniques. I mentioned how Edgar Allan Poe's style of writing had a profound influence with me. I do recognize his literary achievements are dark in nature, yet his style of writing is so appealing to me. I love how he could describe a main character of a story and slowly show the madness of this character. The Tell-Tale Heart, The Black Cat, and of course The Raven are but a few of his literary accomplishments.
 In the midst of this discussion, I received a comment questioning me as to being a Christian and liking Edgar Allan Poe. The specific comment was " I don't know how you could call yourself a Christian and like Edgar Allan Poe."  
 At first, I simply laughed and really appreciated the honesty of the comment. Yet, was I now going to allow guilt take over because of my personal liking of Poe? So, I wrote back "I don't know how you can call yourself a Christian and NOT like Edgar Allan Poe." My point?...Guilt can find its way into our lives in the most honest and raw discussions.

 I think in reference to on-line discussions with various groups, I was most intrigued when involved in a discussion on Christianity and how we apply it to our everyday lives. The specific subject was knowing Christ and how the message of salvation influences our lives. A lady comments: " I have been been a Christian for 47 years. If I may be honest and God not strike me dead, I would really like to know what I did that upset God so much He felt compelled to send His Only Dear Son for me, to die a gruesome and horrible death for something I had done. My question from my heart is: What did I do? I am far from perfect but have always tried to respect and adhere to His commands. What did I do that He thinks my actions in life are nothing more than filthy rags or why I am taught to sing Amazing Grace referring to myself as a wretch?" 
Image result for photos of passion of christ For some this question appears offensive, perhaps even arrogant. Yet, I thought how Jesus might enjoy a well thought out question such as this. Why? Because it challenges our feelings of guilt and puts us in a position...to really know Him and why He did what He did.

                                             Thoughts About Guilt

There will always be reasons, to feel not good enough,
And it's hard at the end of the day.

Instead of seeking a real friendship with Him,
We find distractions, some kind of release,
The guilt in life seem to ooze from my veins.

I want to confess, I want to free my mind,
To have this weight finally lifted from me.
Maybe then, I could find some peace this night.

There are nights my home does seem dark and cold,
The fears of guilt wander endlessly within me.
Is there a way someone can pull me from all this wreckage, 
The wreckage of a guilt-ridden life, now a constant silent revelry?

It gets old livin' a straight life,
Everywhere I turn fear reminds me
There is nothing but vultures and thieves at my back.

There is an inner storm within me,
This storm that continues to twist in my mind,
I feel like I am living a lie,
To make up for all that I lack.

Is life nothing more living out a madness?
I look so glorious to others, while the depth of sadness remains deep.
Almost a glorious sadness,
Yet it is here I find myself driven to my knees.

  Guilt? It can play havoc within us. Guilt is a real emotion that can prevent us from being who Christ Jesus really intended us to be.
 I leave you with a quote: "The scariest monsters are the ones that lurk...within our souls."

 This is a quote from...oh yea, Edgar! Edgar Allan Poe.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment