Wednesday, September 26, 2012

"The 7 Deadly's"...Finale

So, are the "7 Deadly's" something to consider? Are they really Biblical? And what do you do if any of the "7 Deadly's" have found a home in our lives?.........

1. First, are the "7 Deadly's" really something to consider?

 I think when it comes to doing  a self-examination periodically in our own individual lives, I have found it quite beneficial to examine the motives of my own heart in relation to daily encounters I face in life.
 The "7 Deadly's" can serve as a reminder of my actions and/or reactions I choose when encountering others or situations that develop in my life.
 For example, if I find myself "stuffing my mouth with an exhorborant amount of food", or drinking wine in excess, then I need to ask myself: "Why am I doing this?" Could I be allowing something defined in the "7 Deadly's" invading my own life? Am I hurt over how I have been treated?...am I resentful toward God because something didn't turn out the way I thought it should?...Has someone done something to me and now I am "plotting" some type of revenge?
Often times we over indulge because something is bothering us, it is not always our physical bodies screaming for more.
 I think putting into remembrance the "7 Deadly's" causes me to see the need in my own life to give better attention to prayer and the study of the Sacred Scriptures, and to meditate on these Instructions that bring solutions to whatever in life may be troubling me.
 By allowing God's Grace to have an opening into my life, it reduces the chances of any of the "7 Deadly's" finding residence in my heart. It reminds me of the saying I learned long ago that I have found to be true: "Whatever you choose to be the control of your life, it is good for that choice you make to be enacted, otherwise, someone or something will make the choice for you and take control of your life...anyway."

2. Are the "7 Deadly's really Biblical?"

 Although the "7 Deadly's" are not specifically named as such in the Sacred Scriptures, the sins that make-up the "7 Deadly's" certainly are...and the results of allowing the "7 Deadly's" to operate in our individual lives are made clear as well in the Scripture.
 For example once again, take spiritual laziness. I have found myself easily at times rationalizing my need for spiritual development by saying: "I just haven't had the time", or "My schedule is hectic, where can I actually find time to sit down and pray...or think about God's Word?"
 And again, the "7 Deadly's" can serve as a simple reminder of what can happen when we don't make our spiritual development a top priority. I always try and keep this in mind: nothing in life is just left empty...if I don't make it a habitual practice to fill my own heart and mind with the God-type thoughts He has given us...something will...and the "7 Deadly's" are always available to give us another path to follow.

3. What can I do to minimize sins described in the "7 Deadly's", so they won't find any openings into my own heart?

 The Sacred Scriptures are quite clear...throughout its entirety as to what we are suppose to do to keep ourselves in a pure and righteous way before Him. We are told in the Scriptures we are to have a full and happy life...even through the disasters and tragedies that arise along our diverse paths in life.
 Here then are some Gleanings from the Sacred Scriptures as to what we are to do:

  When Israel was beginning to enter the Promised Land in the Book of Joshua, God gives to Joshua specific instructions as to what the Israelites were to do: Joshua 1:8
 " Study His Book of Instruction of life...continually. Meditate on it throughout the day and on into the night. By doing so, it will enable you to obey what His Instructions are for us. It is here prosperity and success are found. Your strength and courage will rise up from within you, no matter what life may bring. With His Instructions "living" within us, He will lead us...safely."

 In Psalm 1:2, it reads: " The Delight of My Word...is what brings thrill to your heart. By meditating on it throughout the day and on into the night, your happiness is discovered, and the fulfillment of your very desires...are forged...through these very Instructions."

 The word "meditate" is a rather interesting word originating from the Hebrew. It is the word "hagah", and the picture of this word is that of a lion who is hungry and has just completed its kill. The lion will protect, growl, and ward off any who come near wanting to take away from its kill.
 That in my estimation is how we are to treat His Instructions...hungry to receive them and ward off anything that is contrary to what His Instructions dictate.
 Ray Vander Laan, a noted biblical scholar, describes this beautifully in one of his teaching series: "God in the Desert", going as far as to pronounce the word "hagah" like that of a growl of a lion...."hagaaah".

 In Psalm 119:48, it reads: " Your Instructions, Your Commands, this is what brings honor to me. To cherish Your thoughts...is like a sweet fragrance arising from Your counsel."

 And of course, the Master Himself makes it abundantly clear as to which Instruction has the most prolific impact on each one of us today. In John 15:17, Christ Jesus declares this astonishing statement: "Remember this! The very core root that grows from My Instruction within you is this....that you are to love one another."
 Nothing can stand against this...including...the "7 Deadly's".

No comments:

Post a Comment