Wednesday, November 11, 2015

"When the Saints go marching in" Take a Ride on the Mayflower...part 5

  I was told we were into the second month of the voyage. The big hour glass on the top deck that I had been able to see in earlier calm days was no longer visible. We were all in the 'tween deck. It was horrible. Time, days, months, had all become a blur to me. My brother Bartholomew was sick, and Remember, my older sister could not stop vomiting...she was so seasick. Her weight had decreased rapidly and I was scared...were we all going to die out here?
  I am so grateful Captain Standish was with us. He was short in stature and his temper even shorter. Yet, his sheer look of determination gave us strength to face another hour of these god awful surroundings.
  And poor Mrs. Hopkins...she was about to give birth....

  There was talk that we might yet turn back and return to England. In our prayer meeting one morning, it had been decided to go on...to the New World. We committed ourselves and all we had to God. I remember thinking...I hope God had remembered to get on board with us in Plymouth (England). We needed His help so very badly.
  Mrs. Hopkins was about to go into contractions any time now. It was the rocking of the Mayflower from the fierce westerlies that seemed to plague her the most. "Just for a moment's rest" she kept repeating...well she was screaming.
  Captain Jones did have a surgeon among his crew members. His name was Mr. Giles Heale. He had given him orders to care for all those sick and for any suffering from injuries during the voyage...particularly those of the crew.
  Honestly, we did not have a lot of confidence in the young Mr. Heale. Mother said he had just completed his apprenticeship in London as a barber-surgeon and the Mayflower was his first job as a doctor. I heard comments from various ladies of my group nearby." He may be able to cut hair, pull a tooth, or mix an ointment to relieve one in dire pain, but we prefer not to have him near Mrs. Hopkins who was about to give birth. " Thank God we had midwives who were experienced in this sort of thing.
  Suddenly Mrs. Hopkins screamed...her water had broke!

Image result for photos of oceanus born on the Mayflower  The midwives had gathered the things they could to assist. It was obvious Mrs. Hopkins was hurting badly while Mr. Hopkins appeared in temporary shock, holding a small bible in his right hand.
  The baby was born, a little boy! Everyone seemed to perk up in spirit as appeared in his "New World.". He was alive, yet he was weak. He didn't seem to have the energy I had seen in other births, yet he was alive...in such terrible conditions.
  After everything had settled a bit and Mrs. Hopkins seemed a little more comforted, Mr. Hopkins announced to all it was a boy and they had named him "Oceanus" in honor of the voyage to the New World. Captain Jones, Captain Standish, along with other members of the crew wished the couple well and offered congratulations on the birth of their new son. Mr. Heale had brought Mrs. Hopkins a mixed ointment for her to drink and calm her nerves. The midwives attending Mrs. Hopkins were complimentary to Mr. Heale's concern, and thanked him.
  Oceanus is of Latin origin meaning ocean. In my school studies this word is connected to pagan writings, not one of our Christian faith. Yet, for this occasion, the name seemed quite appropriate.
  As I stood nearby leaning on a cannon (the gun deck was a part of the 'tween deck), my face was splashed with saltwater from the closed hatch of the cannon portal. Although the Mayflower was not in peril danger of sinking, there were numerous leaks on the ship itself. At that moment however, it felt good to feel water on my face. I do hope Oceanus and I live to see another day. Mother handed me a hardtak and suggested I take a sip of her beer. It had been quite a day already.

No comments:

Post a Comment