Saturday, June 20, 2015

By the Grace of God go I....

As I take time to consider my sixty-second birthday which is fast approaching, I look at my life and am humbled by the mere fact God has allowed me to live this long. I have cherished memories and not so cherished memories, yet when I think of so many around me that do not make it to the age of sixty two, it is a safe and honest statement to say "I am a blessed man."
Image result for photos of John Bradford
 The phrase "By the grace of God go I" is a statement historians are not totally sure of its origin. The most common origin is it dates back to a sixteenth century Proverb accredited to a man named John Bradford.  He was a Protestant minister ( Church of England) who during the reign of King Edward VI was ordained a priest by Bishop Nicholas Ridley to serve the church as a roving chaplain. In 1553 Mary Tudor , alias "Bloody Mary", took the throne as the Queen of England and persecuted any associated with the Protestant faith enforcing strong Catholic reform throughout the land. Within the first year of her reign she had many Protestant ministers thrown in prison and put to death. Among those in prison included John Bradford, Bishop Nicholas Ridley, Archbishop Thomas Cramner, and church leader Hugh Lativer, all four being placed in the Tower of London. All four of these men were sentenced to death and became early Protestant church martyrs. 
 John Bradford was burned at the stake on the morning of July fifteenth or thirtieth, the records are not clear. He was scheduled to be burned at four a.m. yet because of the large crowds was delayed one hour. Some historical records indicate Bradford actually said " There but for the Grace of God, goes John Bradford", yet again the records are not totally clear.
 On that early morning John Bradford was burned at the stake, he was tied with another man named John Leaf and Bradford was to have said to Leaf in a most sanguine fashion " We shall have a merry supper with the Lord this night."

 I am at a stage of my life where I feel so grateful for His Grace that has been given me. I have had the honor and privilege of having a wonderful family, valuable friends, and a very blessed lifestyle. The phrase "By the Grace of God go I" is often used when times of misfortune occur, but I can affirm His Grace has stood tall in my life in the good times and the bad. I have experienced misfortune, pain, and regret through various periods  and I have found joy and peace in other times of life. At the same time I still have new dreams to follow, passions to satisfy, and a purpose to go on. Yet, I find a special comfort making time to remember how good His Grace has been to me.
Image result for photos of passion of christ
Here is a Gleaning from First Corinthians Fifteen, verse ten:

 "By the Grace of God I am what I am. I am not any better than anyone because of this Amazing Grace given me, nor am I closer to Him than others because of His Grace. I have never considered myself a particular chosen one, nor have I become what I am because of any great charitable work I have achieved or because I have an extraordinary faith.  Many including myself would not consider me a great holy man, rather, there is one reason and one reason alone I have come to be what I am...it is simply this, His Grace that He has given me.
 This Grace has not been given me in vain, but within all my human limits and imperfections, He has given me the opportunity and the honor to bless others. I have given my utmost to follow Him and to be a real light in a very dark world. Although it has taken much practice to yield to His Commands, it is only His Grace that has brought fruition to my meager attempts to please Him."

So, my statement for this sixty-second birthday is really wrapped up in this one thought: "By the Grace of God go I...."

No comments:

Post a Comment